It’s officially summer! The sun is shining, it’s warm enough for a dress, and plants are starting to grow. Finally! Winter is a long, hard 6 months here in Newfoundland without much of a Spring… It’s more like “Sprinter”. So you could say that I’m pretty happy to see the sun. This recipe is perfect for BBQ season, so feel free to throw it on your barbecue instead of cooking it inside! Just make sure you oil the BBQ first so your tofu doesn’t get stuck (don’t ask me how I know that…). Enjoy with a side salad or, who are we kidding, make some homemade french fries!
- 4 buns (or 8 slices of bread)
- 1 block of tofu
- ½ head of lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- ½ cucumber
- 4 tbsp plant mayo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Homemade BBQ sauce (recipe below)
*whisk all ingredients until smooth
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 dashes liquid smoke (don’t over do it!)
- 1.5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- Slice the tofu into 12 strips and pat dry with some paper towel.
- Coat a cast iron pan with olive oil and cook the tofu on medium-high heat until it starts to crisp and brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Coat both sides of tofu with LOTS of BBQ sauce and cook for another 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Toast the buns and chop the lettuce, slice the tomatoes and cucumber, and smash the avocados.
- Build your BLT with tofu, veggies, smashed avocado, mayo, and some extra BBQ sauce and enjoy it with a side of homemade French fries!