Happy Sunday, friends! I have to be honest with you… I think this is the recipe I’m most excited about on my blog. I had never made cashew cheese for pizza before, and finally decided to give it a shot. The outcome? Perfection.
This pizza came together pretty quickly, as far as made-from-scratch pizzas go. It made enough for two people – but really I ate half, saved the other half for later, and allowed Jeremy a *couple* of bites. My omni man loved it and has asked me to make it again!
So considering it’s Sunday, that means a new blog post for you all, but it also means a CLEAN HOUSE for me! There are 11 things on my list for today! I’d love to call it “spring cleaning”, but unfortunately it’s snowing outside. Yep… Snowing… On May 21st. We’re pretending it’s spring though and heading to my parents’ house for a BBQ. My Dad is an awesome BBQer so he is taking the reigns on that today. I keep asking him what he’s going to make and he keeps replying “I’m waiting to see what my favourite blogger puts up on her website about BBQing!”. He’s funny. I’m looking forward to seeing what veg-friendly things he grills up today!
Enough about my weekend… I hope you enjoy this za!
- 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
- 2.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in boiling water for 1 hour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted + sliced
- 1 white onion, cut in rings
- 1/3 cup white navy beans (or cannellini beans), canned or cooked from dry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, skin on, roasted (broil until soft)
- Broil 5 garlic cloves with skins on until they are soft and skin is charred. Once broiled, turn oven to 475F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all dough ingredients and stir until a ball forms. Cover with a tea towel and let it rise until desired size. I allowed mine to rise for about 15 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, cook your onion on high heat with water until they are caramelized, translucent, and soft. Set aside.
- Combine all cheese ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to stop part way through to scrape down the sides. Set aside.
- Toss the beans in olive oil and a dash each of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the roasted garlic cloves.
- Build your pizza! Start with tomato sauce, then onions, beans, roasted garlic, olives, and finish with big dollops of cashew cheese on top.
- Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes, and enjoy!