This is another quick recipe that you can throw together after a day at work with no hassle, or you can have it pre-made on Sunday (our meal prepping day, remember?!) for the week for lunches and dinner.
It’s rich, creamy, has a tiny kick to it, has greens, and makes enough for the week – this was dinner last night and lunch today, and I still have leftovers!
I know, I know. You looked ahead and saw that you need to soak your cashews overnight – you probably think that it’s a hassle and you won’t do it. I’ve been there. Trust me. It’s the easiest way! The boiling method leaves you waiting for an hour or two suuuuper hungry. Throw the cashews in a bowl with some water before you head to bed the night before and voila you’re ready to cook when you get home from work!
If you have smoked paprika on hand, I recommend using that to amp up the flavour. Unfortunately I am out, even after my big Bulk Barn run!
- 1 box/bag pasta, I used brown rice shells as they soak up more sauce 😉 (this will yield enough for approx. 4-5 servings)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight, or quick soak with boiling water for 1-2 hours)
- 1 jar roasted red peppers (or 4 homemade roasted red peppers – broiled on high until skins are black and blistering)
- 3 cups spinach, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup plant milk (adjust according to desired consistency)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp dried basil
- 1-1.5 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3/4 tbsp cayenne
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Parsley, as a garnish
- Optional: 3 tbsp vegan butter (I use it… so creamy!!!)
Your steps are:
- Boil pasta per instructions on box and set aside covered with teacloth (this keeps it moist)
- In a high-speed blender or processor, combine cashews (drained from water), roasted red peppers, garlic, tomato paste, plant milk, nutritional yeast, basil, chili powder, chili flakes, paprika, and cayenne
- Blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust spices for more heat!
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté onion in olive oil until translucent and add spinach. Cook until wilted.
- Add your pasta noodles to the onion and spinach, add optional vegan butter and coat noodles.
- Add your sauce to your pan and toss until coated! Top with fresh parsley, fresh cracked pepper and some vegan parmesan cheese (store-bought or homemade)