Anyone else obsessed with broccoli as much as I am? I eat it for breakfast with my eggs, put it in salads, roast it with other veggies for dinner, but I especially love roasting it and throwing it in with dairy free mac & cheese. It’s full of protein, tons of vitamins, fibre, and potassium.
I also love cozy meals. I’m a big carb fanatic and am finally not scared of them anymore. 😉
This recipe below was beyond super easy. I use Daiya cheese because it’s the easiest to find in St. John’s. If you’d rather make a cashew cheese sauce, you can totally do that too!
Ingredients (serves LOTS! I froze a whole bunch for quick meals):
- 0.5 package of macaroni noodles (I used brown rice noodles)
- 0.5 package Daiya vegan cheddar cheese shreds (about 2 cups)
- 2 large broccoli heads
- Frank’s Hot Sauce to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package. Macaroni doesn’t take too long to cook which is great so a quick meal if you’re in a rush. Drain the macaroni and put back in the pot.
- While macaroni is cooking, sauté the broccoli florets (cut up) with 1 tbsp avocado or canola oil (olive oil is not good for cooking with as it doesn’t have a high smoke point). Cook until they start to char and remove from heat.
- Slowly add Daiya cheese into macaroni noodles and stir until completely melted and blended.
- Add broccoli to pot and stir together.
- Season with Frank’s, salt, and pepper.
If you like to bake your mac & cheese… Simply follow these steps and put into an oven safe pan. Top with breadcrumbs and broil for a few minutes until it’s nice and crispy on top.
This recipe took me about 20 minutes total to prep and make. It was awesome. AND I had food for the entire week and totally binged on mac and cheese all week – it was like being in heaven.
Who says us “vegans”/”dairy-free” eaters can’t have some cheesy goodness every now and then?!